Friday, January 14, 2011

The Caldecott was announced....

The Caldecott was announced Monday so beautifully illustrated books have been on my mind (they're always on my mind to some extent, but I've been discussing them more than usual). There were a number of beautiful books published in the past year, many of which were worthy of an award for distinguished illustration. So here are a few beautifully illustrated books (which didn't win a Caldecott or Honors) which you may wish to check out.

13 Words written by Lemony Snicket illustrated by Maira Kalman
Quirky is a good word to describe Kalman. As is colorful, wonky, bizarre, and luscious. Many people feel overwhelmed by her illustrations, but part of the wonder is to take it slow, to spend time on every page and revel in the strange details and juxtapositions. If you usually go for traditional or realistic illustrations, take the time to sit with 13 Words and explore something new. And if quirky is your style, be prepared to fall in love.





Pocketful of Posies: A Treasury of Nursery Rhymes by Salley Mavor
Three-dimensional illustration is not something you often see, which is why I think people find it astonishing and magical. Often the most difficult part of a three-dimensional illustration is getting a good photograph and the reproductions in Pocketful of Posies beautifully capture Mavor's brilliant colors and textural variety.





Art & Max by David Wiesner
This entire book blows me away. The intricacy, the detail, the color, and the dynamic compositions combine to create a stunning book. It's a staff favorite here and one that's difficult to walk away from.





Zen Ghosts by Jon J Muth
I've tried working with watercolor before, and the attempts have only made me appreciate those who use the medium more. Before I wrote a paper about this book I read it through a number of times. Each time I caught something new hidden in the illustrations. And take a close look at the endpapers for small additions to the story.





-Marika

What are your favorite picturebooks of 2010?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for mentioning my book! Did you know that the original illustrations from Pocketful of Posies are on display at the Danforth Museum in Framingham, Mass. until January 27th? The tour schedule is on my blog.
Cheers, Salley