Friday, July 30, 2010

The Cut!

As mentioned in a previous post, my husband, daughter and I are moving up to Maine temporarily until PhDs and jobs get sorted out. While I'd love to take my entire library, I'm limiting myself to 25 books.

Rules:

No hardcovers (galleys of current/upcoming hardcovers don't count!)
No more than 3 books that have less than 250 pages (I have to make them last!)

So, what made the cut?

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
Displaced Persons by Ghita Schwartz
Serious Men by Manu Joseph
Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barberry
Father of the Rain by Lily King
Zulu by Caryl Ferey
Best American Short Stories 2008 edited by Salman Rushdie
America, America by Ethan Canin
A Kind of Intimacy by Jenn Ashworth
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell
Middlemarch by George Eliot
Blind Descent by James Tabor
The Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
Old Filth by Jane Gardam
Granta New Fiction Issue 106
Home by Marilynne Robinson
Days of Abandonment by Elena Ferrante
Invisible by Paul Auster
Bone China by Roma Tearne
The Most Beautiful Book in the World by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt
The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer
The Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway
Collected Stories by Wallace Stegner
Lit by Mary Karr

Emily Russo Murtagh

3 comments:

Ann Kingman said...

I hope you left room for one more, because you requested an ARC that should be arriving today or Monday. (I forget exactly which title it was, but your name's on it!)

The Odyssey Bookshop said...

Oh, ok, twist my arm...

As the Crowe Flies and Reads said...

Good list!