Thursday, April 10, 2008

Mary Jo Salter - Tonight

Hello Dear Readers,

As you may know, the Odyssey Bookshop has a deep and ongoing friendship with Mount Holyoke College, which gives us a bit of an 'in' when faculty members publish something new. Tonight's event is another celebration of faculty work, this time in poetry.

Mary Jo Salter, author of numerous poetry collections, will read from her newest book tonight (4/10/08) at the Odyssey Bookshop at 7pm. The book, A Phone Call to the Future, has gotten some great reviews and it is always exciting to hold a faculty event. Did I mention that Salter (see interview here) is MHC faculty? ;) This is going to be a lot of fun, and y'all should all be here for it. To be honest I am not so good at keeping up with the poetry world, but I know a lot of you out there are and this post is for you guys.

My relationship with poetry is sort of ... rocky. I wrote some angsty stuff as a teen, studied it (as a genre? a style? a form of written art?) in college a bit, and think quite fondly of the poets I've known, but I find poetry to be quite an elusive art where much of what is published simply allows us to watch poets watching the art slip through their fingers, leaving us with words alone. It is strange, I enjoy poetry readings but rarely go to them, even for a dear friend whose work is wonderful. Something feels dangerous about such vulnerability in wordspace, I guess. But enough about me and poetry, what about you and poetry? What about you being brave and stepping out to the poetry event tonight? It will be good.

-
Darcy

No comments: