Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Why I love bookselling...



Yesterday (Columbus Day) was the release of Jeff Kinney's latest in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, the Dog Days.

Also the town of South Hadley had their annual Columbus Day Bazaar on the town commons, just outside the store, so as you can imagine it was a pretty exciting day in book selling.

It was also a day where I was reminded of why it is I love my job.

Every gasp of enthusiasm once a child/parent would walk in and see the Dog Days display and accompanying book was a welcome sound!

In fact the sound of a person gasping in delight when they spot a favorite book or just the title they were looking for has become one of the highlights of my day.

Or when someone is looking for a book, but they are not sure who wrote it or the exact title, but they heard the author interview on NPR maybe two weeks ago/ know it has a blue cover/ is about a horse farm in Montana/ will be made into a movie/... etc., etc., etc., I LOVE being that person who helps you find the book and solve that mystery.

Or when you need help finding that special something for that reluctant reader/ 8 year-old-tomboy/ expecting college roommate/ tween who loved Twilight/ suggestion for your book group/ yada yada yada, I love being the person who you come to.

I may not be able to find it for you but I work with such a great cast of characters that I know some one who will be able to recommend a perfect something for that special someone.

Yesterday was a great day in book selling!

Thanks for letting me be your bookseller!

~Nieves

No comments: