Sunday, April 6, 2008

Sex and Science

Hello Dear Readers!

Are you enjoying the new blog format? This thing is really picking up, huh? I'm so proud (*wipes tear*). I haven't picked up many new books this week, but I did read a good one a little while ago. I've been waiting for its release date (April '08) to tell you about it.

Mary Roach, author of the gripping Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife, and Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, has brought us another installation in what I like to think of as her 'super-popular popular science' series. Roach is so good at finding topics which are totally captivating yet somewhat taboo, and presenting a comprehensive and entertaining compendium of scientific research on the subject. In this newest book, Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex, Roach takes us through a history of scientific research into sexual physiology. It is an educational, and sometimes racy, ride. Somehow Roach manages to avoid any sense of vulgarity, using an occasional splash of cheerful naughtiness to diffuse possibly uncomfortable discussions (artificial insemination of livestock, for example) and clear language to keep the narrative focus on the scientific research at hand. It is, however, completely about sex and thus not for the underage, anti-science, or anti-sex crowds. I don't think I'll lend it to my grandmother (although she might like it), but I think my aunts would get a kick out of it. Whether you would give this book to a parent definitely depends on the sort of relationship you have with them, but it is great fun to read and even more fun to pass around. I am waiting for my housemates to finish it so we can giggle about Danish pig farms together. Check out this review for a more complete explanation of why they are giggle-worthy, but you really *really* should read this book. It'll make you a better mammal.

Take care everyone! And yes, just like my previous posts this post is very specifically about spring (think about it), so Happy Spring! I dunno about your yard, but mine is full of crocus. brag brag brag. Be Well, and come visit the store! Best,
-
Darcy

No comments: