Friday, April 15, 2011

My Name is Nieves... and I'm a cover lover!

April Poetry Month edition!

Nobody loves tom foolery and epic nonsense like us booksellers here at the Odyssey Bookshop. So it goes without saying we love writers like Lewis Carroll. If you doubt me check out Marika's blog or click here.

But what convinces a reader to pick up a nonsensical and delicious epic poem ? Why the cover of course.












by Lewis Caroll
British Library 
19.95

The British Library has reprinted a complete facsimile of the 1st edition. And in the book's 135 years of existence it has had quite a few covers (see below). However there is just something to be said for the aesthetic appeal of gold on red clothe. Maybe it's my inner mocking bird that loves to collect shiny objects but I love this reprint!



From "The Hunting of the Snark"
by Lewis Carroll

"Friends, Romans, and countrymen, lend me your ears!"
(They were all of them fond of quotations:
So they drank to his health, and they gave him three cheers,
While he served out additional rations).

"We have sailed many months, we have sailed many weeks,
(Four weeks to the month you may mark),
But never as yet ('tis your Captain who speaks)
Have we caught the least glimpse of a Snark!

"We have sailed many weeks, we have sailed many days,
(Seven days to the week I allow),
But a Snark, on the which we might lovingly gaze,
We have never beheld till now!

"Come, listen, my men, while I tell you again
The five unmistakable marks
By which you may know, wheresoever you go,
The warranted genuine Snarks.

Enjoy! 

Paz,

Nieves

No comments: