Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Movies Based on Books

There are many great books that have been turned into not so great movies.....yet I still get excited when a book I really like is transformed onto the screen.

I am particularly excited for the forth coming movie Julie&Julia because it is based on not one, but two of my favorite books from about two years ago.


Julie & Julia by Julie Powell is a food memoir about the experience of one Julie Powell and her year long mission to cook every recipe in Julia Childs' Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Powell is not a trained chef or cook, and her attempts and frequent failures are hilariously funny to read.




The other book that lent itself to the movie is Julia Child's memoir, My Life in France. Written along with her grandnephew Alex Prud'homme, Julia Child chronicles her time living in France, developing her interest in food, attending the now famous Le Cordon Bleu, and eventually writing the now infamous cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. It is a truly wonderful read for anyone who owns this cookbook, likes to cook, likes to travel, and/or likes France.

The movie comes out on August 7th and I for one will be seeing it opening night. I am trying not to get my hopes up too much. However, since Meryl Streep is playing Julia Child I feel it holds sincere promise. Click here to watch the preview and see for yourselves: http://www.julieandjulia.com/

~ Vanessa

No comments: