Thursday, March 27, 2008

YA up there with classics

Working at a bookstore, even in the back with numbers, delights me because I am in the world of reading and new finds. I have to admit, when I am on the floor, usually helping parents find books for young people, I still rely on the "classics" of LeGuin, Orson Scott Card, and McKillip and for the read-aloud set Wrede and Alexander.

Lately, I have found two books that I have added to my backlist collection. A favorite fantasy writer of mine, Guy Gavriel Kay, wrote a YA book called Ysabel. It is historical and modern, a young man telling the story, some romance, magic and action.

Another series I am enjoying is Pellinor series by Alison Croggan. I got pulled in despite myself, having some resistance to the bleakness. I did notice that neither of these authors comes out of an american culture. Hmmm.

There is always Stephenie Meyer's quartet, a series that defines the usual genre. Very American.

Victoria







No comments: