Thursday, June 2, 2011

All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go...except for my books!

I'm at T-minus 12 days, 12 hours until my summer vacation begins, not that I am counting or anything...but if you know me at all, you know that picking my summer vacation reading is almost as much fun as picking my destination.  I'll be heading for tropical climes, which meanslots of lounging, eating, snorkeling, swimming, reading.  Rinse & repeat.  And with long travel days bookending my trip (two planes and one boat transfer--ugh!), I will have plenty of time to read.  I figure with 14 days, I'll need at least 16 books to take.  My stack of possible titles is now around 30, so I'm spending my weekend winnowing that list.  Who wants to help me decide?



Tom Perrotta writing about the Rapture?  Yes, please!  I loved Little Children and The Abstinence Teacher and I look forward to reading this one, too, in galley form.







Alice Hoffman's The Dovekeepers.  Literary word on the street is that this is her most literary and ambitious novel yet.  She switched publishers for this one, too, so I'm happy to have an ARC of it. 




Lost on Planet China by J. Maarten Troost made my list for a couple of reasons.  I loved his travel memoirs set in the South Pacific AND his middle name is the name of one of the islands I have to travel to in order to get to my destination.


The Wettest County in the World by Matt Bondurant is one of the few books guaranteed a spot in my backpack 'cause it's the book my husband asked me to read for Christmas.  Every year as a gift to each other we read one book by the other's choosing.  Isn't that a great tradition?  It started when I wanted him to read Harry Potter and he was reluctant to do so.  One year he asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I replied, "I want you to read Harry Potter."  Not much he could do in the face of that request, eh?  (He ended up *loving* Harry Potter, btw.)

What else should I take?  Let me know what books you're looking forward to reading this summer and maybe I'll read 'em, too!

~Emily

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm really looking forward to Everything Beautiful Happened After by Simon van Booy (HarperPerennial) and Alexander Maksik's You Deserve Nothing (Europa Editions).

Have a great trip!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to "The Whisky Rebels" by David Liss as well as Steve Berry's latest release--"The Jefferson Key."

As the Crowe Flies and Reads said...

Those sound like great books, y'all. jatyler, like you, I'm a big fan of the Europa imprint. ashcroft2000, I admire Liss's previous book. I'll have to chck these out!

emily