Monday, August 16, 2010

YA? Y Not?

Sorry for the bad pun... but I couldn't help myself! Well I'm not really all that sorry to be completely honest; and it is a particularly apt title for this here blog post. So, moving right along.

I recently read an essay in the New York times, entitled "The Kids Books are All Right." (An okay title, which can not stand alone without the recent movie release The Kids are All Right, but that is in fact another blog post entirely).


I loved reading this essay because it hit upon many of the arguments I have had for reading Children's and YA literature. (Plus I love the excellent illustration by Ross MacDonald).

The article probes the recent popularity of children's and young adult fiction with adult readers. A phenomenon that I think predates Harry Potter, i.e. C.S. Lewis, Roald Dahl, Lewis Carroll, L.M. Montgomery, plus the multitudes of other classic children's literature! When one re-reads these books as an adult, they still resonate however you are usually able to appreciate them on a whole new level!

Although one should never dismiss the fabulous J.K. Rowling and the contribution of Harry to popularizing Children's literature. The recent publications of Harry Potter, Hunger Games, and yes Twilight, sorry non-Twi-hards*, have not only made it okay to peruse and read books on the Young Adult shelf, they have made it quite popular.


You can, and I suggest should, read the entire article by clicking on this or the above links! To order your copy of any of the mentioned YA titles you can click here. Chances are they are in stock so stop on by, give us a call. We love to talk books, YA and otherwise.

Paz,

~Nieves

*Die hard Twilight fans.

No comments: