Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I'm back! But I'm leaving again...

Dear readers,

I'm pretty ashamed of how long it has been since I've posted anything on the Odyssey's blog. My life has been a roller-coaster since the end of July when I found out that...I'm pregnant! Our little girl, Molly Elizabeth, is due April 11th and my husband and I are frantically preparing for her arrival.

So, this post is both an apology for my absence and a short farewell until July when I return to the Odyssey.

My absence from this blog can attributed to the shear lack of reading I've been able to do these last 7 months! My first trimester left me unable to pick up a book without feeling woozy...then exhaustion set in, blah blah blah, a myriad of excuses!

While I'm not back to my "normal" self, it's only been in the last 2-3 months that I've felt awake enough and capable enough to actually read a book and truly enjoy it.

Here's what I've read/been reading:

Allison Hoover Bartlett's THE MAN WHO LOVED BOOKS TOO MUCH
This book is a fantastic story about a west coast book thief who stole books simply because he loved to read. While his actions are deplorable, if you're a book lover, you can't help but find him at least a little sympathetic.

Howard Frank Mosher, WALKING TO GATLINBURG.
I admit that I haven't quite finished this one, yet, but plan to do so ASAP. Mosher's characters are unforgettable and the first line of the novel will appeal to any avid reader!

Justin Cronin, THE PASSAGE
This may well be the biggest novel to come out this summer. Due in late June, Cronin tells the story of the United States (in 2014) being overtaken by vampires. I know, I know...more vampires...ugh, but trust me when I say that you completely buy into Cronin's world. I'm not much of a fantasy/sci-fi reader, but this had me completely hooked. If you don't believe me, ask any other indie bookseller in the nation.

Frederick Reiken, DAY FOR NIGHT
While the publisher is pitching this new book by Reiken as a novel, it's really more of a collection of interlinked stories. Set in the 1980s, DAY FOR NIGHT centers around 8 or so distinct individuals all linked to each other through one mysterious woman and several traumatic events.

and finally...

David Mitchell, THE THOUSAND AUTUMNS OF JACOB DE ZOET (July 2010)
I'm only 15 pages into the galley, but I'm hooked. I'm mocked daily by fellow booksellers who discover I haven't read his previous novel, THE CLOUD ATLAS. I hope reading the new one early will give me back some of my street credit.

Emily Russo Murtagh

No comments: