Monday, June 9, 2008

Author Event - Grassroots Gardening by Donna Schaper


Hello fellow GREEN enthusiasts! I've been on this real "go green" kick lately. I would say something glib, like, Lord knows why, but clearly everyone knows why - gas prices are rising and I'm poor. Ha! Okay, really though, the state of the world and the state of the US in terms of environmental policies and day-to-day issues is scaring me, and frankly, it should scare you too. With that in mind, I've been trying to find ways (which means, of course, reading lots of books) to make changes in my life that are doable, affordable, and will overall do my part to help the environment.

T
o this end, I am exploring the possibility of putting in a few vegetable plants at some point. I'm moving to a new apartment which comes with a small backyard, or I've even thought about getting one of those communal garden plots - though to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if I'm ready for that level of commitment. Anyway, for all of you folks who are gardeners already, or aware of the growing green crisis, there is a book/event I would like you all to know about.

When: Thursday, June 12, 2008 at 7 pm
Who: Donna Schaper
What: Author reading/signing for Ms. Schaper's book - Grassroots Gardening: Rituals for Sustaining Activism
Paperback: 9781568583457 $13.95

So far I've only read the introduction and even that was fabulous! As far as I understand it, this book is about bringing together the old and the new by sustaining a sense of hope through the flexibility that is taught to us by gardening. It's kind of incredible really - the connections that are conscious and unconscious when you garden. You become in-touch (literally!) with the earth, with the weather, and how that all affects a plant which you are hoping to rely on for sustenance. To me, and like I said before, I haven't read the whole book yet, that mimics the connections we all have on/with each other as well, in other circumstances in every day life. I think, then, that there is absolutely a connection between the act of gardening itself and the urge for activism.

Personally, I can't wait to attend this event and buy up copies of this book for all those gardeners/activists in my life. I hope you all can join me :)

Happy gardening,

Rebecca

No comments: